Simply boiled the artichokes are delicious, but with clams and prawns we will give a special touch to this tasty food.
The artichoke that we eat now descends from the wild thistle, a harder and thorny plant, originally from North Africa, which was already known to the Romans. Among the properties attributed to it was to cure baldness, strengthen the stomach and freshen breath, in addition to being used as an aphrodisiac.
The Romans ate them pickled in honey and vinegar and seasoned with cumin.
How to prepare artichokes with clams and prawns
Ingredients – For 4 people
- 16 medium-large artichokes
- 500 gr. of clams
- 8 peeled prawns
- 1 glass of white wine
- 1 teaspoon of flour
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Spicy paprika
- Fresh parsley
- Remove the outer leaves of the artichokes until the tender green leaves appear, cut the ends, which are harder, and the stem. We split them in half. remove the hairs from the center and sprinkle with lemon, so they do not turn black. Cook them in a pot with water and salt for about 15 minutes or in a pressure cooker. Withdraw and reserve.
- Put the olive oil in a frying pan and over medium heat lightly fry the garlic. Add the flour and with a wooden spoon stir for 1 minute. Then take the white wine, stir and let it cook for a couple of minutes until the alcohol evaporates.
- Drain the clams well and incorporate them to the pan. When they are almost open add the prawns, preferably fresh, instead of cooked, so they are not too dry. Leave the prawns for 1 minute and turn them over. Leave them another minute until they turn pink and begin to curl. The clams should all be open.
- Then add the artichokes, a little of salt and chopped parsley, if desired sprinkle spicy paprika. Stir for 1 minute. Serve them to eat always hot.
- To clean the clams, leave them an hour in a container with cold water and salt to release the sand they can bring.
- If a clam does not open at the time of cooking, remove it as it may be in poor condition.
- To remove the black thread (the intestine) pull it with a pair of tweezers.
- You can make a small longitudinal cut to the prawns, for a better presentation.