Olive oil, also called liquid gold for its many benefits, has accompanied Mediterranean cultures since time immemorial. Its use was not limited to the gastronomic field but it also extended to cosmetics and body care. The Ebers papyrus, the oldest surviving medical legacy from ancient Egypt, mentions the use of olive oil as a means of combating wrinkles. In Greece, olive oil was added to massage ointments and, Galen, Greek doctor whose ideas dominated Western medicine for more than 1000 years, formulated a moisturizer based on olive oil, water and wax of bees, which helped to keep the skin elastic and smooth.
At present, olive oil is increasingly present in the cosmetic industry. It is part of creams, soaps, lotions and other products for facial, hair and body use. But, how can we take advantage of its hair benefits?
Let’s see a very simple way
- Pour 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a bowl and heat it for 10 – 20 seconds in the microwave. Do not heat it any longer because you will oxidize its vitamins and lose some of its properties
- Next, moisten your hair with warm water, and apply the oil all over the hair. If your hair is oily, apply it only at the tips
- Wrap the hair with shower cap and then with a towel and let it take effect for 10-20 minutes.
- Finally, rinse your hair well with shampoo. Repeat the operation once or twice to prevent hair from becoming oily.
If you prefer to prepare a mask, you can include olive oil as one of its ingredients. Next we offer you a mask so that the dry and opaque hair recovers its shine.
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 ripe avocado
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- Remove the pulp from the avocado with a spoon, crush it with a fork and place it in a bowl.
- Heat the olive oil in the microwave for 10 seconds and mix it with the avocado.
- Pour the honey and stir everything until you get the mask.
- Apply it to your hair, from the root to the ends.
- Let it act for 20 minutes
- Rinse your hair with plenty of shampoo and water
Olive oil contains vitamin E, an antioxidant that protects and repairs split ends, helps repair damaged follicles and promotes hair growth. In addition, it is rich in unsaturated fatty acids, which are very beneficial for the protection of your hair.
Perform one of these treatments once a week and you will protect the tips, strengthen the roots, moisturize the hair and stimulate its growth.